The purpose of JSPA is to be a self-regulated body for Shiatsu professionals. It has set an educational standard for professional certification of Shiatsu Therapy in BC, Canada at a total of 1000 hours. The following guidelines are the inclusions of 1000 hours curriculum:
- Shiatsu Foundation
- Shiatsu Theory
- Health Science (Anatomy & Physiology)
- Shiatsu Clinical Experience
All members are held responsible for behaving and practicing Shiatsu Therapy in a strict accordance with the Code of Ethics. It applies to the practitioner/client and instructor/student relationships.
- Client/Social/Ecological Concern: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members shall consider above all the health and well being of the client. Members also recognize their intrinsic involvement in the total community of life on the planet Earth.
- Professional Conduct: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner, performing only those services for which they are qualified, and represent their education, certification, professional affiliations and other qualifications honestly. They do not in any way profess to practice medicine or psychotherapy, unless licensed by their province to do so.
- Health History and referrals: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members keep accurate client records, including profiles of the body/mind history. They discuss any problem areas that may contraindicate use of Shiatsu Therapy and refer clients to appropriate medical professionals when indicated.
- Professional Appearance: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members pay close attention to cleanliness and professional appearance of self and clothing, of linens and equipment, and of the office/client environment in general. They endeavor to provide a relaxing atmosphere, giving attention to reasonable scheduling and clarity about fees.
- Communications and Confidentiality: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members maintain clear honest communication with their clients, and keep all information, whether medical or personal, strictly confidential. They clearly disclose techniques used, appropriately identifying each in the scope of their professional practice.
- Intention and Trust: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members are encouraged to establish and maintain trust in the client relationship and to establish clear boundaries and an atmosphere of safety.
- Respect of Clients: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members respect the client’s physical/emotional state, and do not abuse clients through actions, words or silence, nor take advantage of the therapeutic relationship. They, in no way, participate in sexual activity with the client. They consider the client’s comfort zone for touch and for degree of pressure, and honor the client’s requests as much as possible within personal, professional and ethical limits. They do not use elbows, knees or feet in the application of pressure to the client’s body. They acknowledge the inherent worth and individuality of each person and therefore do not unjustly discriminate against clients and colleagues.
- Professional Integrity: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members present Shiatsu Therapy in a professional and compassionate manner representing themselves and their practice accurately and ethically. They do not give fraudulent information, nor misrepresent the JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC or themselves to students or clients, nor act in a manner derogatory to the nature and positive intention of the Society. They conduct their business honestly.
- Professional Courtesy: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members respect the standards set by various society modalities, and they respect service marks, trademarks and copyright laws. Professional courtesy includes respecting all ethical professionals in speech, writing, or otherwise, and communicating clearly with others.
- Professional Excellence: JIKIDENKAI SHIATSU
PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION OF BC members strive for professional excellence through regular
assessment of personal and professional strengths and weaknesses, and
by continued education and training.